Places to Visit and Things to Do on an Alaskan Cruise
Popular Items for Purchase in Alaska
- Unique jewelry and gems
- Salmon - They will ship it to your home
- Dog Sledding on a glacier - Well worth the price for an unforgettable experience.
- Train from Anchorage to Whittier. Sit in the caboose for easy access to the back outside viewing area (not all trains offer this feature).
- Salmon or halibut fishing - They ship the fish you catch to your home. In many cases the lodge you're staying at or cruise ship will cook the fish you caught for dinner that evening. It doesn't get fresher than that.
- Best chance for visibility in May, early June, or September
- Moose sightings more coming in May/June
- Tour - Denali park bus tour with naturalist guide
- Great biking trails. Rent a bike at Bike Denali
- Horse shoe lake hiking trail
- Eat - Caribou burger in Talkeetna at Burger Barn
- Walk to town about 15-20 minutes
- White Pass & Yukon Route Railway
- Explore the town, shop, and visit a saloon
- Eat - Fry bread
- Visit Moore cabin
- Walk or take a shuttle to town from the ship
- Take a picture in front of the governor's mansion
- Purchase shuttle tickets to take you to Mendenhall Glacier. Nice hiking trail to the glacier and waterfall.
- Sky tram ride up to the top mountain for amazing views.
- Eat - chowder, fish tacos. Tracy's or Deck Hand Dave's for best seafood.
- Go on a beer and foodie tour.
- Tour - Salmon fishing best in July
- Ship docks right in town
- Shop and Explore - Very walkable town
- Eat - Crab, Salmon
- Dolly’s House Museum
- In the old days before video games, single young men in Alaska had a different idea of after-work entertainment - hard liquor and a certain type of female companionship. These loggers, miners and fishermen worked hard in the woods, the gold camps or at sea. When they got back to town, Creek Street and its brothels were waiting.
- The Lumber Jack show is a lot of fun!
- Take the funicular up the mountain for a great view. You’ll find it on Creek street.
- Tour - Rainforest Sanctuary
- Ketchikan tends to be rainy so pack appropriately. When you're done exploring; head back to the ship, put on your bathing suite, and enjoy the hot tub with a warm drink. If you're lucky, it might rain while you're soaking in the hot tub which feels amazing.
- Walk around Vancouver harbor area and watch sea planes land and take off on the water.
- Stanley Park
- Capilano Suspension Bridge Park
- 1215 Davie St, Vancouver, BC V6E 1N4, Canada
- Beavertails Pastry
- Spruce Beer (it's soda)
- Ice Wine (it's wine)
- Brewery and Food Market at Granville Island Public Market
- Nice high end shopping at Nordstrom Pacific Centre
- Chambar Restaurant
- Miku- Sushi
- The Keg- on open table and similiar to Capitol Grill but a little more casual vibe
- Cactus Club - nice one is on beach
- Craft Brewery - beachy
- Joe Fortes- seafood and steak
- Black and Blue